Sunday 29 April 2007

big hike holidays - GR20 Corse

If everything goes well, what I expect, I'm going to start working in June, which leaves some time to relax in May.

I'm not quite sure where to go and what to do, but one idea I like a lot is the plan to go on a big hike in mid may. So I was reminded that Marius, a friend of mine, told me about the GR20 (Grand Randonnée 20) some time ago. It's a trail circling the isle of Korsika in around 15 days, and I'm confident that there's some room for speeding up that time from what I read.


Here's some ressources I checked on the net:
- Abenteuer Korsika
- GR20 Tagebuch

What I'm not quite positive about is whether the season is already right for doing it, my main concern is snow as a lot of the track is around 2000 meters, and some parts even above, with the highest peak on the island being at 2700 meters. Experiencing snow in the Ticino last year in May/June I can tell that it's partly funny but also very exhausting if longer stretches are covered with deep snow, and north faces can be covered in snow pretty long.Also probably a lot of food will have to be carried, as some huts might only be open in the main season for the trail starting in June.

Thus I would appreciate any hints on how weather, snow and everything is like in Korsika/Corse currently. Maybe you know somebody who lives there or something, that would be cool.



On the other hand, maybe you have different cool ideas for a short two week break somewhere else in the world???

UPDATE: STephan on the Globetrotter board told me that the GR20 is completely free of snow currently. Only the hut wardens won't be there yet, so it sounds like a lot of stuff to carry around, incl. gas (this makes for few boxer-shorts... - but hey, it doesnt look like anybody is up to joining me anyways.. ; )

No comments: