Thursday 10 May 2007

mymuesli.com

Up to now, all the projects in this section were direct friends of mine, so this time a novelty by presenting a project of a good friend of a friend of a good friend of mine: mymuesli.com . Basic idea: custom made muesli.


So first things first I wanted to do a reality check to my beloved "Seitenbacher" muesli, and as I am more the "basic" muesli eater keeping it real with almost no add-ons, I randomly picked a more complicated muesli mix from the Seitenbacher shop . It's called Müsli 721 (codename: indulgent mix..) and contains raspberries, blackberries, black currants (Johannisbeeren), raisins and apples plus almond reeds added. Trying to reproduce this in the mymuesli shop I picked a basic mix and ... only found raisins, apples as well as the almonds. Mh. Okay, lets pick three substitutes for the missing berries, I go for figs (Feigen), Mangos and cherries. Going to the checkout this makes 7.00 EUR for 575g corresponding to 12.17 EUR per kg while Seitenbacher is at 3.99 for 750g or 5.32 per kg. Summary: maybe the random choice was disadvantegous, but I didn't get what I hypothetically wanted or would have gotten at Seitenbacher, also it's not exactly cheap, but maybe I picked relatively more expensive ingredients.


Yet to be fair, the choice of other ingredients is really cool and large, and the coolnes factor of customizing your own muesli shouldnt be underestimated, I figure there'S a lot of folks out there who like the Seitenbacher Mix X but always have to go through some pains to pick out ingredient Y or separately buying ingrediant Z and add it.

Further thoughts (consultants disease to always make suggestions..)
- to me it looks like a black socks business model, people need the muesli in some fixed intervalls, so they should probably offer combi-packages for a year or so in addition to the regular shop; I'm not quite sure if this would help with prices because it would have to be mixed fresh each quarter year
- I'm not quite sure about the positioning of the product, from my random sample it looks like it's potentially twice as expensive as a standard muesli, so it'S probably a premium product
- is this scaleable? it's highly customized, so probably a lot of hand-effort

Anyways, I thinks it's definitely a cool idea and has potential.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

=)
lecker, lecker, lecker!
p