Tuesday 26 April 2011

3 weeks in HK - Beijing Easter weekend day 1/2

Thursday, April 21

My first three weeks of HK are already over, time to start exploring beyond home turf..

So on Thursday, I left office in a hurry at 16:55 in order to catch my flight to Beijing at 19:00, but turns out the HK transportation system brings you from your desk chair in central to the airport in lesse than 1 hour, all in time from office to gate at about 1h15, brilliant.

Then, my arrival in Bejjing, less brilliant: no taxis whatsoever (huge lines), no airtrain (closed?) so took a bus that brought me in the vicinity of my hostel, advised by a Chinese guy sitting next to me who pointed out where the stop was (no English stops indication in the bus), then got a taxi to bring me to the hostel, finally arriving around 1am, no internet, no bar, thought it can only get better (and it did get..)

Friday, April 22

Slept out, great breakfast, Tiananmen square, Mao mausoleum closed (only open until noon to give the imperator some rest I guess..).



Then some hassle at the National Museum of China, quite a good insight into how commusim works: nothing moves and you don't know the heg why. Interesting exhibition on the Chinese interpretation of the last couple of hundred years of history.

Some rain, which led me to get a brilliant pink umbrella for 30 yuan. Then proceeded into the Forbidden City, actually some great timing as the ticket sales closes at 4pm, and the closing time is 5pm. So bying a ticket at around 3:30pm means that most people are exiting and the place is almost quite (well, check the pictures).



Afterwards watched the sunset in Jingshan Gongyuan park, good stuff.



Then proceeded to the dim sum evening of my hostel (Happy dragon, can be recommended) where I met Keltoum, David, Dan and another English guy. Afterwards we headed out for our first underground Beijing experience, some punk club, which turned out to be closed due to sound problems.. - yet luckily found another one with a great American funk band. Afterwards enjoying brilliant and hot original dinner for 65 yuan for three people including three big beers at around midnight (thanks again to the guy that ordered the same meal that his group enjoyed for us in Chinese)...

More pics

No comments: